Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Woman in front of a vase of flowers: Ernst Ludwig

Woman in front of a vase of flowers is an oil on canvas painting done by Ernst Ludwig in 1906. The painting is located in the Collection Franz Burda, Offenberg. While reading about this painting I thought it was very interesting that Ludwig attempted to show psychic states throughout his paintings. In this painting we can see how the woman is obviously very melancholy, however we see the beautiful sunflowers behind her to contrast it. I chose this painting because I loved all of the soft colors especially the blue in the background and on the woman's face. I also love how you see each individual strokes of the the different colors and how the woman's face is multicolor. I think that this painting is very beautiful and allows its observer to really connect with the woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment